Whatcom County Chapter
We are a county-wide public interest group with the goal of protecting, restoring and increasing respect for private property rights, while maintaining and enhancing the health, vitality and attractive qualities of our communities. This Mission will be achieved through our Policies:
- Our volunteer organization is made up of rural and urban land owners and residents, who are deeply concerned about and focused on preserving the property rights guaranteed to us in our state and federal constitutions.
- Whenever possible, we cooperate with other organizations and persons, at local, state and national levels, in achieving our mission. We want all residents to have real, positive choices in housing, jobs, business opportunities, recreation and lifestyles.
- We are working toward a trustworthy political, policy and regulatory setting at all levels of government which protects and restores our property rights, together with our region's environmental quality and natural resources.
- We believe that stewardship of land and resources is best accomplished by those who own them; we act responsibly and with foresight in the management of our private property, as well as in the management of land use and growth by our communities.
- We are the principal respected and effective local voice in our County dedicated to the protection and restoration of private property rights, a positive and fundamental component of our priceless liberty, including our bundle of civil rights.
- We recruit and support candidates for public offices and appointed officials, who respect and support our mission.
- We initiate and support constructive laws, regulations and other actions which will protect and restore property rights and environmental quality, including repeal or reform of excessive, costly, conflicting or vague rules and programs.
- Educate and inform the general public on the true cost of regulations and on property rights issues.
- We provide educational programs and outreach for our members and the public, focusing on this mission and these policies.
"The right of property is the guardian of every other right, and to deprive a people of this is, in fact, to deprive them of their liberty."
Arthur Lee, Virginia, 1775
Citizens' Alliance for Property Rights was organized in 2003 as a non-partisan political action committee where individual citizens and existing organizations can work together protecting property rights. We support equitable and scientifically sound land use regulations that do not force private landowners to pay disproportionately for public benefits enjoyed by all. After observing environmental conditions around the world, we conclude that private owners are far better stewards of this earth than government planners. Landowners who own and control their own land take much better care of it, regardless of whether they live in an urban, suburban, or rural setting. We want to be part of our children's and grandchildren's lives. They should not have to move elsewhere in order to be able to afford a home of their own. We protect everyone's property rights by:
- Presenting a single coordinated voice dedicated to preserving and protecting individual property rights.
- Electing legislators pledged to protect, not destroy, property rights and electing judges pledged to uphold our constitutionally guaranteed right to own and control property.
- Promoting legislation to preserve and protect property rights while opposing excessively burdensome legislation and regulation.
- Reducing the regulatory cost of property ownership.
The truth is that private ownership of property is the greatest instrument of freedom ever designed and it is sheer folly to speak of granting a man freedom while withholding that instrument from him."
—Bertel M. Sparks